Security is a top priority for every homeowner, and video doorbells have revolutionised the way we monitor our homes. Two major players in this field are Ring, known for its user-friendly video doorbells, and Hikvision, famous for robust intercom systems. But how do these two brands stack up against each other? Let’s delve into a comprehensive comparison to help you make the right choice for your home.
Ring Video Doorbells:
- Easy Installation: Ring doorbells are known for their simple and quick installation process.
- Smart Home Integration: Many Ring models can integrate with various smart home ecosystems like Alexa.
- Cloud Storage: Offers subscription plans for cloud storage, allowing you to access recorded video from anywhere.
- Two-Way Audio: Speak with visitors without opening the door.
- Robust Build: Often designed for commercial use, Hikvision Intercom systems are rugged and built to last.
- On-Premises Storage: Many models allow for local storage, offering a one-time purchase without ongoing subscription fees.
- Integration with CCTV Systems: Hikvision allows seamless integration with other security systems.
- Variety of Options: From simple residential models to complex commercial solutions.
Ring Video Doorbells:
- Resolution: Ranges from HD to Full HD, depending on the model.
- Field of View: Offers a wide field of view to capture more of your front door area.
- App Performance: User-friendly mobile app for live viewing and notifications.
- Resolution: Offers a range of resolutions up to 2K, suitable for various needs.
- Customisable Options: More flexibility for customising settings and integration with existing security systems.
- Targeted at Professionals: Often preferred by professionals for complex security setups.
Ring Video Doorbells:
- Cost-Effective Options: With various models available, Ring offers solutions for different budgets.
- Subscription Fees: Ongoing costs for cloud storage may add up over time.
- Higher Initial Cost: Often comes at a higher price point, reflecting its robust build and professional features.
- No Mandatory Subscriptions: Local storage options may result in lower ongoing costs.
Hikvision DS-KV8113-WME1 Ultra Video Intercom Villa Door Station + Indoor Station
The DS-KV8113-WME1 marks a new addition to the Hikvision Intercom range, specifically designed for villa door stations.
This innovative unit is equipped with a 2MP HD IP camera for crisp visuals, accompanied by a back-lit name tag panel that features a singular call button. For those who prefer a modern approach, a card reader is integrated to facilitate key-less entry. An LED indicator enhances visibility, while the built-in microphone and loudspeaker ensure smooth two-way communication. To bolster image quality in low-light conditions, supplementary IR lighting is also included.
What sets this model apart is the ability for users to remotely configure the intercom system through a web browser, adding a layer of convenience and control.
Built to withstand the elements, the DS-KV8113-WME1 carries an IP65 rating, making it resilient to rain and wind, and an IK08 rating to protect against potential knocks from people passing by.
While PoE (Power over Ethernet) typically powers the unit, there’s also the option to use a 12V DC Power Supply Unit (PSU) if needed, offering flexibility in installation and operation.
Price: You can buy the Hikvision DS-KV8113-WME1 for around £200
This needs pairing with an indoor station, and there are plenty of options available for as little as £140 for the Hikvision DS-KH6320-WTE1.
The Hikvision DS-KH8520-WTE1 would be my recommendation at £345
The Hikvision DS-KH8520-WTE1 offers a sophisticated solution as a 10-inch touch screen video intercom indoor station. With support for a wireless network, this system allows users to effortlessly view live videos from their door station and any connected cameras.
Featuring a display resolution of 1024 × 600 and dimensions measuring 254 mm (W) × 166 mm (H) × 14.7 mm (D), the intercom’s user-friendly design and larger screen ensure that users can see more without the fear of missing vital details.
Sound quality is a priority with the DS-KH8520-WTE1, as it incorporates both echo cancellation and noise suppression. These features, combined with a built-in omnidirectional microphone for audio input and an inbuilt loudspeaker for audio output, promise a clear and immersive audio experience.
The intercom’s power flexibility is another highlight, as it can be energised through either a 12V DC power supply or standard PoE, simplifying the setup process. Operated by the Embedded Linux operation system, the unit ensures a stable and efficient performance.
Storage and accessibility are also taken care of with this intercom. It’s capable of capturing images and storing messages on a TF card, with storage capacity reaching up to 32GB. A notable convenience feature is the ability for users to remotely unlock doors using either the client software or a mobile client, adding an extra layer of flexibility and control.
Ring Video Doorbells
Ring is more consumer-friendly, and they have multiple excellent options depending on your needs.
Ring Video Doorbell Elite
The Ring Video Doorbell Elite stands as one of the more advanced offerings in the Ring’s line of smart doorbells. Positioned as a premium option, it’s designed to deliver both functionality and style to homeowners who want more from their doorbell system.
Connectivity: Utilising a Power over Ethernet (PoE) connection, the Elite ensures a more reliable and secure internet connection compared to typical Wi-Fi-enabled doorbells.
Video Quality: With high-definition video, users can enjoy clear and detailed images. The doorbell also supports infrared night vision, allowing for visibility even in low-light conditions.
Audio Features: Two-way audio with noise cancellation lets users speak with visitors at the door, enhancing communication.
Design: Its sleek and slim design gives a modern and professional appearance, suitable for various architectural styles.
Smart Integration: Compatible with several smart home ecosystems, the Ring Video Doorbell Elite can be easily integrated into existing smart home setups.
Security: Real-time notifications and live view functionality enable users to monitor their doorstep from anywhere using a mobile app. Additionally, optional subscription plans allow for video recording and storage.
Ring Video Doorbell Pro 2
The Ring Video Doorbell Pro 2 is a sophisticated smart doorbell that builds upon the features of its predecessors to offer enhanced security and convenience for homeowners.
Video Quality: Offering crisp 1536p HD video resolution and a wide viewing angle, this doorbell provides a comprehensive view of the doorstep. The inclusion of colour night vision ensures clarity even in low-light situations.
3D Motion Detection: One of the standout features of the Pro 2 is its 3D motion detection, enabling more precise alerts and customisable motion zones. This provides better control over notifications and minimises false alarms.
Two-Way Audio: Enhanced with noise cancellation, the two-way audio allows clear communication with visitors without physically answering the door.
Smart Home Integration: The Pro 2 integrates seamlessly with various smart home platforms, allowing for convenient control through voice commands or smart devices.
Power Source: Designed to be hardwired into existing doorbell wiring, it ensures a continuous power supply.
Price: £170 to £220 depending on sales
For Homeowners: If you’re looking for an easy-to-install and user-friendly solution for home security, Ring Video Doorbells might be the right choice. They offer smart integration, remote viewing, and a range of price points.
For Professionals and Complex Setups: Hikvision Intercom systems might be more suitable if you need a robust and professional security system, especially for commercial applications or integration with existing security systems.
The choice between Ring Video Doorbells and Hikvision Intercom depends on your specific needs, budget, and preferences. Both brands offer quality products but cater to different audiences. Carefully consider what features are most critical for your security needs, and you’ll find the perfect fit for your home or business.