Setting up facial recognition on a Hikvision NVR can be beneficial for both security and convenience. Please follow this guide to get you through the process. Remember to always refer to your specific device’s user manual, as features and interfaces can change based on the model and firmware version.
Setting Up Facial Recognition on a Hikvision NVR
- A Hikvision NVR compatible with facial recognition features.
- Cameras compatible with the facial recognition feature.
- A monitor connected to your NVR.
- A mouse connected to your NVR.
- Power up your NVR and wait for it to load.
- Using your mouse, click on the login screen, enter your credentials. If you haven’t changed them, the default often is:
- Password: [the password you’ve set during the initial setup; if not changed, it may be blank]
Accessing the Facial Recognition Feature
- Once logged in, right-click to open the main menu.
- Navigate to
Configuring Facial Recognition
- Enable the ‘Face Detection’ feature.
- Adjust the sensitivity and threshold as needed. A higher sensitivity increases the chances of detecting a face but might lead to false positives.
- If there’s an area in the camera’s view you want to exclude from detection, you can set up ‘Exclusion Zones’.
- Under ‘Face Capture Settings’, set the parameters for face capture like the minimum and maximum face size to be recognized.
Linking to Camera
- Ensure the camera you want to use for facial recognition is connected and accessible through the NVR.
- In the face detection menu, link the camera of your choice for facial recognition.
Face Picture Library (Database):
- Navigate to
Face Picture Libraryor similar menu item depending on your NVR’s firmware version.
- Here, you can add photos of individuals you’d like the system to recognize. This is useful if you’re using the feature for access control or to be notified if a certain individual is detected.
- Upload the photos, assign names, and save them.
Arming the System:
- Once everything is set up, make sure to ‘arm’ or ‘enable’ the system to start detecting faces.
- Based on your needs, you can set the NVR to take various actions upon a face being recognized or not recognized. This could be sounding an alarm, sending an email notification, starting a recording, etc. You can set these actions up in the
Saving & Testing:
- After configuring all the settings, click ‘Save’ or ‘Apply’.
- Test the system by having someone walk in front of the camera to see if their face gets recognized and if the system takes the desired action.
Things to Remember
- Ensure your camera’s placement and angle is suitable for face detection.
- Always respect privacy laws and regulations in your area. Inform visitors and staff if facial recognition is being used.
Search by Face picture
Hikvision also lets you search by any picture in its database. If you have any picture you can search the database with it,
- Go to the smart analysis page.
- Click smart analysis.
- Click face detection, and on right hand side, select search by picture.
- You can reduce or increase the accuracy of the match.
- Load the picture and click search
- It will give you all the snapshots that matches the picture.
Intruder detection Mode
If you want your NVR to detect people and send an alarm if they are not in your system, for example school or campus won’t like an unknown person roaming in their area.
- Go to settings
- Go to event
- Select smart event under event.
- Select the facial recognition camera.
- From the mode select stranger comparison and set alert.