Typically people set up their NVR or Network storage for storing video and forget about the fail-safe strategy. In events like fire or HDD failure, you won’t have any footage saved with you to look back on events. Apart from disastrous events these days’ burglars and thieves know that they are being watched over by CCTV. Most of the time they locate NVR and either destroy it or take it away so you are left with no evidence. Most of the organization has a fail-safe policy in place but still, details are overlooked. In scenarios described above cloud storage will have you on the safe side.
Cloud storage as your backup
These days cloud storage like one drive, Google Drive and a drop box will give you up to 100 GB free storage at max. You can put this storage capacity to the best use for your video recording backup for free. For cloud storage, you need to have internet access with proper bandwidth.
Let’s dive in
- Fire up your NVR login page from a browser.
- Go to configurations and storage.
- Under storage, go to advance storage and on the left pane click cloud storage.
- Enable cloud storage.
- Under storage option, you can select from the drop-down menu either Google Drive, DropBox or one drive as your storage option.
- In this case, we will select dropbox as our cloud storage now click get and it will redirect you to dropbox website in another tab.
- Enter your dropbox credentials and sign in. It will text message you on the number that is associated with the dropbox account now enter the code in the box presented by dropbox. Once you enter the code it will ask for permission for TVI-HD-DVR to access your files and folders in dropbox. By allowing it will present your system. You need to copy the code and revert to your NVR cloud storage page.
- Now in activation box enter the code and save. Now select the camera for which you want to save the video on cloud and select upload type as the record. Now check enable event upload checkmark and save again. In five minutes, your dropbox status will turn to online.
- Now in schedule setting for each camera, you have set cloud storage click advanced from pop window select stream type as double stream and click ok and save the settings. Now on the linkage tab, check cloud storage in order video for the event can be saved to the cloud.
- Before finishing up, you need to set event type from events. You need to setup option detection event at the minimum but you can also set intrusion and line crossing event which on firing will populate your cloud storage.
- From primary events select motion detection. Enable motion detection and set up the area for which motion event will be fired. You can also set a schedule for the event to be fired.
- The best practice is to set up proper events detection for the most critical place. Line crossing will generate much fewer data and recorded video will be capturing less space of your cloud storage and won’t push you into purchased storage.
Line crossing Event setting up
To setup, line detection go-to event and under select advance events. On the right pane select line crossing tab. Now enable line crossing and draw a line by clicking draw on the area you want to generate recording if the line is ever crossed. Now on the submenu click linkage method and check the cloud storage checkbox so that recording can be saved to the cloud.
Now verify recordings on dropbox once few events have been triggered. Thanks.